Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Pre-Game Evaluation

So tonight is Morris' long-awaited return to the court after being suspended for 14 game. I have tickets to the game and, despite Saturday's poor performance, I look forward to the game. I have been patient with UK year, mostly because I know that having that inside presence makes more of a difference than most people think. Thus, here are my pre-game expectations:

-Obviously, Morris will get the ball and get it often. Look for all offense to go through him.
-I expect HUSTLE. The last several games, there has been NO hustle on defense.
-I expect better ball-care.
-I expect more passion from the players.
-I expect Sims and Rondo to have big nights due to Morris creating space in the lane.
-I expect a big win.

Three years ago, UK was in the same situation they find themselves now. They were playing lousy defense, not moving the ball around on offense, and showing no passion or hustle for the game. They went to Vanderbilt one cold January night in 2003 and found themselves down by a dozen at halftime.

Then came the second half. UK came out guns blazing and clicking on all cylinders. They huslted. They jumped into passing lanes. They passed the ball well. Tehy got easy baskets. They took good shots. And I have never seen Tubby so excited about his team as I did that night. We outscored Vandy like 40-12 or something that half. Something changed that night. The players finally got it. and from that point on, that team played with a passion and a purpose that I have never seen before in a UK team.

I hope Tubby shows the footage of that glorious half of basketball to his team before the game tonight. Maybethe players will finally start to realize that the coaches know what they are talking about because, after all, they have been involved with the game of basketabll before any of the players were even born. Things can change tonight. This team has plenty of talent, as JTapp so wisely noted. It's all about execution: knowing the other teams strengths, weaknesses, and taking the appropriate measures to exploit them. It's about hustle: playing 40 minutes of solid D. And it's about passion: showing that you actually care about the outcome of the game and not just your stat line.

I expect big things tonight. I will report back after I get results.

7 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 05:29:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

I was hoping that Bama would be a better test of our new inside grit. Now that Chuck Davis is gone for the season, however, looks like Bama and SEC west will be weak overall.

 
At 1/10/2006 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I think it is funny that morris' stats last year were terible compared to other big men around the NCAA. only averaged 8 points a game just a few rebounds...he did play really well in the tournament but if i remember correctly he only had 4 points last year at home against vandy and 2 rebounds...to me that is not that much of a presence...do not put all your chickens in one basket mama alwasy said

 
At 1/10/2006 07:08:00 PM, Blogger Liz Waters said...

I agree Wes. I accepted some crappy tickets to the game tonight in hopes that it'll actually be something worth watching. If it's not...I will be seriously agitated.

 
At 1/10/2006 11:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i told you guys...... we DONT HAVE TALENT this year. i love kentucky, but we just dont have it this season.

 
At 1/11/2006 05:02:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

It's not because of lack of talent. Bryce, compare our roster to any other 5 teams in the country. Show me how theirs rates better in "talent." Show me how ours isn't deeper than theirs.

 
At 1/11/2006 05:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would it be better if i said that we dont have any chemistry?...

 
At 1/11/2006 11:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the problem is that Kentucky does not have a coach. The vast majority of UK players have poor shot mechanics. There is no excuse for not shooting 85% or higher from the free-throw line, I can shoot that with my non-dominant hand and I do not play college ball. I think 90% should be the minimum, I mean honestly, there is something implied by the term free-throw.

Finally, back to the first question Tubby Smith’s coaching style is too slow and laid back. There is no excuse for barely squeezing by on buzzer beaters. There is no excuse for not running a full court trapping press the entire game. While it may be an inappropriate slogan for a children’s hockey team I think UK should adopt the hated Hawks motto “It’s not worth winning if you don’t win big.” You should play with equal intensity no matter who the opponent is and you should score as much as possible every game.

Well to continue the rant Kentucky Basketball is no longer Kentucky the only Kentucky people on the team, besides Sparks, warm the bench. There is plenty of talent within Kentucky high schools to actually have players from Kentucky on the team. Back to the shot percentage thing, it would be nice if someone could shoot three pointers also. And Sam’s Club and McDonalds bigger is not always better, sorry Tubby but true talent does not exist above a certain height.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home