Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Time For Some Feedback

So lately among my various social groups (that's right, I said various social groups) there has been much reminiscing about TV shows of our bygone youth. Such classics such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (my favorite), The Elephant Show, Pete & Pete, Are You Afraid Of The Dark?, and of course, Fred Penner's Place (holla back Hagan) all have a special place in my heart, as they are the shows I grew up with. Some classics I was not allowed to watch for various good reason that I now understand (i.e. Ren and Stimpy). Some I was not allowed to watch for reasons I will never understand ( I was forbidden to watch Doug, the cleanest, most harmless, wholesome, thought-provoking, lesson-teaching, character-building show on TV at the time. Swing and a miss on that one, Jerry and Mindy).

Well there was this show years ago called Animaniacs that in my youth I would watch religiously. I'm sure many of you may recall as I know I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the wild antics of Yako, Wacko, and Dot. Well I was thinking about that show today, and how incredibly awesome of a show it was. There was this one part of the show called "Good Idea, Bad Idea". It is a pretty self-explanatory concept. At any rate, I have decided to adapt this idea to the blog. It will most likely resemble "What I Know/Think", so watch for it in the future.

What other shows did you enjoy as a young lad or lass? I have thought of about all that I can remember, as I had a lengthy conversation with some friends about this subject a couple Sundays ago. I am interested to hear about what you watched in your youth, especially if you are older than me.


This is the point where I stop talking and eagerly await your feedback.

Just a sec, I got one more thing to say: this is my interesting fact for the evening.

So I was just watching the tail end of Leno (waiting for Conan to come on of course) where I happened to catch Sinead O'Connor preform her new single. I noticed something funny: if you add a k and an h to Sinead, you get Skinhead. Skinhead O'Connor. I thought that was pretty funny. Cause she shaves here head.

7 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 01:40:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

As a wee lad I enjoyed He-Man, M.A.S.K., Transformers, and G.I. Joe. Later, TMNT, and cartoons like DuckTales and Tailspin.

Live-action stuff, I don't remember the names of. Have to go way back to the preschool & kindergarten years for those.

Fraggle Rock and the Muppets were there though.

 
At 10/26/2005 02:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me back in time to brighter days of fond memories. Tapp, I think you hit all the classics there. As for Animaniacs, "Good Idea, Bad Idea" is great. You should also try to incorporate the "Wheel of Morality" somewhere.

 
At 10/26/2005 02:37:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Definitely Ducktales baby. I also enjoyed Batman: The animated Series quite a bit.

John, I forgot about the "Whell of Moraility"! That was hilarious. Dude, we need to find some old Animaniacs episodes and watch them.

 
At 10/26/2005 09:39:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

REALLY OLD GUY says...

1. "Happy Hour" on Channel 62 (which is now Channel 36) that featured a clown named Happy and a frog puppet named Froggie that poked out of the wall (imagine Crusty the Clown with a puppet friend). Instead of Itchy & Scratchy cartoons, Happy and Froggie showed Tom & Jerry, Three Stooges, and Flash Gordon.

2. Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show, Smurfs, and Peanuts on Saturday morning.

3. Captain Kangaroo on weekday mornings.

In college, I liked Tiny Toons, TMNT, and Darkwing Duck. The Animaniacs were a little too hyperactive for me.

 
At 10/26/2005 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

whats TMNT?

 
At 10/27/2005 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Ashlie said...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

So I feel the need to represent my gender once again...but reading some of your favorites makes me feel old.

Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, The Get-along Gang, Smurfs, and..i'm sad to say...Captain Planet.

 
At 10/27/2005 01:25:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

Yep to Care Bears and Smurfs. I also remember watching Justice League cartoons and the Bozo Show on WGN. Robotech was another of my favorite childhood (although it was adult Japanime) cartoons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home