Monday, October 17, 2005

I'm Cool Because I'm Irish?

I'm just gonna be honest with you tonight: I don't like fads. If I had a Top Ten list of things that annoy me, fads would be right up there. Whether it be LiveStrong bracelets or Vote For Pedro shirts, i'm like the opposite of the McDonalds slogan: I'm not lovin' it. So I thought today of fads from my youth and from the present, and I came up with a few that stuck out.....

-Pogs: Perhaps the stupidest game known to mankind.

-Pokeman: Retract the above statement-this is the stupidest game known to mankind.

-Irish Heritage: Believe it or not, when I was at Clays Mill Elementary, you were cool if you had an Irish heritage. That is the honest truth, I don't make this stuff up.

-Reebok Pumps: Not a big fan of putting excess air pressure into the tongue of my shoe

-Velcro shoes: I took no part in this. This went on while I was in high school, and I saw Brandon Sok with a pair on the other day. I told him that they make Velcro shoes for very young children and for mentally disabled kids who don't know how to tie shoes. And it makes sense when you look at who started the whole thing anyway.....( cough cough Dave Campbell cough cough)

-Rap: Man we had these kids in middle school who were as white and middle-to-upper class as can be drawing Wu Tang Clan symbols everywhere and telling me how Tupac was still alive. What were you trying to do? Prove how bad you were? Cause you're not, so don't be a poser. (note: Troy if you ever find that Wu Tang shirt let me get that from you. You may be too scared to wear it to church but I'm not.)

-Throwing up the "West Side" sign: I went back and looked at my middle school yearbook a while ago, and no joke nearly every picture had kids throwing up the their "West Side" sign for all the world to see.

-"God Made Bananas" shirts: Man I'd like to know who made those shirts.....

-Trucker Hats: Don't wear trucker hats if you are not a trucker. I know this may offend some of you, but I'm not in the business of enabling your absurd behavior. Lose the hats.

-JNCO Jeans: I'm just gonna come out and say this: this is quite possibly the most absurd article of clothing a person can wear. Seriously, if you can fit two people inside one pant leg, it's time to rethink that outfit.

-Wearing a toboggan when it isn't cold outside: That is just a lack of common sense.

-Bob Marley: You were cool in high school if you liked Bob Marley, so most people said that they did. Liars, you were just trying to fit in. Bob Marley sucks and you know it.

-Stand-on Scooters: I don't know what those were about, but those things are dangerous.

-Poker: Don't even get me started on this one...

-Popping collars: Just don't do it.

-Guys wearing pink/purple: I don't have a problem with this if you can pull it off succesfully. As for me, I learned the hard way that pink was not working for me when long ago I let the girl next door pain my fingernails.

Got any more fads you want to mention? Let me hear them.

15 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 08:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let's see - we've got goucho pants, "getting lucking in KY shirts," those slippers that looked like tennis shoes back in high school (they were so dumb), beanie babies, gigapets, and the "Rachel" haircut. All those fads were/are dumb and lame. Although, I did think pogs was cool when I was little, but it'd pretty stupid now.

 
At 10/18/2005 08:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a second, I forgot one major fad that drives me crazy. Low Rise Jeans. I hate them. They can't possibly be comfortable and nobody wants to see that.

Oops - I made a typo in my last post.

 
At 10/18/2005 11:13:00 AM, Blogger dc said...

why you gotts to be hatin on the velcs dawg? it is a little sad that sok is still wearing them. all i do is cut grass in them these days. you know, trying to keep the spirit alive.

 
At 10/18/2005 12:15:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

how about... blogs????

 
At 10/18/2005 12:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it Dave...

 
At 10/18/2005 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/18/2005 01:20:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

Good call on the poker fad.

The MC Hammer pants when I was in 4th grade.

Wearing your pants backwards like Kriss Kross in middle school (that was the worst one ever).

Pleated dress pants.

Saying the word "dawg" or "dog" or "dogg" to your friends. "Whattup dogg?"

My wife agrees with you on how ridiculous the snow boot fad is.

 
At 10/18/2005 01:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

blogs.....

 
At 10/18/2005 03:41:00 PM, Blogger Bryan Gotcher said...

Scott,

Jealous?

 
At 10/18/2005 09:35:00 PM, Blogger SMITTY said...

slap bracelets

 
At 10/18/2005 09:36:00 PM, Blogger SMITTY said...

sambas...you know, those adidas soccer shoes...approx. 6th and 7th grade.

 
At 10/19/2005 01:43:00 AM, Blogger Justin said...

hey dude take it easy on the rap, and take it easy on Bob...there are some excellent rap artists outhere and I wouldplace their ability musically against anyone outhere...and you are not cool for smashing Bob the way you did

 
At 10/19/2005 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trucker hats are a fad now? Crap. Guess I'll have to quit wearing mine, even though I had it long before it apparently got cool. I certainly don't wanna be confused with someone who thinks he's cool.

 
At 10/19/2005 11:10:00 PM, Blogger Jon Canler said...

How about those Harry Carey sunglasses that are big enough to cover a person's whole face?

 
At 10/19/2005 11:11:00 PM, Blogger Jon Canler said...

That's Caray in the last post. My bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home