Sunday, February 05, 2006

Is The Best We Have To Offer?

Even though it is now 2006, I still consider this year as part of the time period that many like to call "The Dawn of the 21st Century". We have come a long way over the past fifty years in advancing technology and making life better for all of of mankind. Think about what we have accomplished over the past 50 years. We have discovered new medicines for various diseases. We have put a man on the moon. We have created the cell phone, which allows us to reach virtually anyone anywhere at anytime. We have super-fast computers that do almost anything we want them to. It is truly amazing to behold how advanced a society we have become.

So why do I bring this up? Good question. Here's my problem. I am at work in the snackroom, trying to get a Snickers bar out of the machine. I put my change in and press the corresponding button. The little spiral thing turns, but suddenly stops before the candy can fall to the collection tray. What the crap is that about?

So let me get this straight.....we can send spacecraft into the depths of unknown space but we still haven't figured out how to make a candy machine that delivers the candy 100% of the time? Is the steel coil really the most efficient of delivering Scnickers bars? Are you sure that's the best we can do?

Hmmmm, maybe then the soda machine will work better. I take out a nice, crisp $1 bill. I stick it into the slot in it's correct position: face up, with Washington's neck pointing towards me. The machine takes the bill in, makes some noise, then spits the bill back out. I try again. Same results. I make sure the corners are not folded and try again. Same results. I slap the machine around a little bit. Same results.

Why must the soda machine mock me? I'm giving it real money, can it seriously not tell that it's real money? Is it that difficult. You seem to accept change just fine. Why are you hatin' on my dollar bill? It's a perfectly good $1 bill. Just accept it, give me my beverage, and I'll be on my way.

Seriously, there has got to be technology out there advanced enough to get this soda machine to realize that I'm not trying to gyp it out of a dollar and that all I want is a beverage because I am 99.9% parched.

Let's get with the program America. We are the cutting edge in technolgy, but right now the snack and soda machines are making us look bad. And I won't stand for it any longer.

2 Comments:

At 2/06/2006 09:51:00 AM, Blogger d blake said...

Been listening to Earl Pitts again?

 
At 2/08/2006 03:16:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I ask the Asian nations: why is it that your 8 year old has the new $300 game phone, yet simple plumbing remains unimportant??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home