Tuesday, June 14, 2005

CD Review: Coldplay's "X&Y", and The Foo Fighter's "In Your Honor"


I just bought the aforementioned CD's this afternoon, and after listening to both, I have decided to give a brief review of each.

In Your Honor: I had very high expectations for this CD after hearing it's first single Best Of You on the radio, and for the most part I was not dissapointed. This album is actually two CD's, the first of which contains heavier tracks, the second containing acoustic sets. Disc one is fantastic, especially the first 3 songs. A few of the tracks towards the end are a little weak, but overall it is a good listen. Any Foo fan will like this CD; it mixes a new sound with the classic Foo sound of the mid-90's. However, the second disc is not so good. In fact, it sucks. It's suckiness will not affect the album's rating. I give the album 4 stars (out of 5).

X&Y: When Coldplay first came about, I hated them. However, my tastes in music have changed over the years, and now I love a lot of music that I used to hate, and vice versa. Now they are one of my favorite bands. X&Y only reinforced my feelings about them. Of the 12 tracks on the album, there is maybe 1 that I don't like. That is rare for an album these days. Their sound has changed a little bit from A Rush Of Blood To The Head, mostly in the sound of the electric guitar. My friend Chris put it best: they sound more U2-ish, which I think works for them. Simply put, this album is treat to listen to from top to bottom. Rating: 5 stars.


NOTE: Since writing this post I have re-listened to the second disk of In Your Honor, and I have realized that I was too quick to judge it. It is actually not as bad as I first thought, especially the the latter tracks.

1 Comments:

At 6/14/2005 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

i whole heartedly agree...although i did not "buy" the coldplay cd per se i did in a free trial with napster "buy" some of the songs from the album and have been playing in my car since...5 stars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home