Thursday, May 26, 2005

Silverscreen Ambitions

Well in my extreme boredom today, I was browsing the Web looking for something interesting to read, when I came across an interesting article that I think a couple of you might be interested in (most of you probably won't care about what I am about to write about, so bear with me). Anyway, I found this article concerning George Lucas and his future plans involving any future Star Wars material. Apparently, one of the reporters for this website ran into Lucas while he was on vacation in Hawaii. Naturally, the reporter inquired as to whether there would be any more Star Wars movies (as you may know, Lucas has said before that episode III was going to be his last Star Wars movie). Lucas replied that there is a possibility that another Star Wars movie will be made, if not by him then another director (I will spare the details for the sake of readers who could care less, but I will provide the link to the article at the end of the post).

Now I will get to what the title of this post suggests that I am going to talk about. As many you know, I will be making my cinematic debut this summer (or fall possibly, the release date may have been pushed back). I was fortunate enough to be able to be an extra in upcoming movie Elizabethtown, directed by Cameron Crowe, and starring established actors/actresses such as Orlando Bloom, Suasan Sarandon, as well as the lovely Kirsten Dunst and Jessica Biel. While these big-names will be playing in some of the lead roles in the film, I will be playing the illustrious role of " Sexy young man on porch", or as it may read in the credits "Piece of eye candy #1". Okay, maybe I am just "man on porch #1". Nonetheless, it is an important role. I know you are probably laughing that I take myself so seriously, but here me out on this. First, let me give you a quick synopsis as to what this film is about. Some dude (Orlando Bloom) is like a VP at this shoe company out west, but he has recently lost the company a lot of money with his lame ideas, and therefore he has lost his job as well. On top of this, his father (who lives in Elizabethtown, KY) has passed away. Therefore, this dude must return home to see his family, as well as get his life together. At some point, he meets a stewardess (the lovely Kirsten Dunst) and they hook up or something. This is where I come in. Seeing my opportunity, I sweep in and steal her away from the loser, unemployed shoe guy (ironically, I am a loser, employed shoe guy-we are not much different) using my dashing good looks and unrivaled charm. But then Jessica Biel gets all jealous and things get ugly. (Ok, so once again, I fabricated pretty much everything after the part where O. Bloom and K. Dunst hook up). Anyway, here's what I really do. At some point, O. Bloom gets lost in E-town while driving around looking for the funeral home. As he drives through a neighborhood, he looks to his right (with a look of utter confusion upon his face) and sees a family sitting on their front porch just chillin, of which I am a part (I play rebellious teenage son who is looking for the meaning of life) . At that moment, he makes eye contact with the father (my on-screen father, I forgot his name). The father simply nods and points in the direction of the funeral home, letting O. Bloom know that he is going the right way. O. Bloom responds by nodding his head and smiling, showing that he is gratelful for the help. It is truly a touching moment, and a major turning point in the plot (well, not really). Anyway, Pretty much what I do is sit there on the porch, looking all good and what not, while gently smiling at O. Bloom as he cruises by in his Benz.

So at this point you may be saying to yourself "Hey Wes, I thought you said your role in this movie was important." So here is my theory: obviously, the only reason O. BLoom looked at that porch on that day was because in his peripheral vision he saw a stunningly handsome rebellious teeenage son sitting on the porch dressed in a bright red shirt and basketball shorts. Had I not been there, he would have just driven on by, thus never recieving the head nod and finger point that reassured him that he was going in the right direction, in turn possibly causing him to turn around and head off in the completley wrong direction. And we all know that if he never makes it to that funeral home, there is no story. Period. So as you can see, I am essential to the plotlline. And yet I only got paid $65 bucks for shooting this movie.

But it was not the money that drove me to be a part of this experience. I think it would be fun to be an actor. I had a blast on the set. I met some cool directors (but not Cameron Crowe, unfortunatley), and was even 3 feet away form O. Bloom at one point while his car drove by for a re-take (I could have even met him, but our group had lunch at a different time than his. I heard a few other extras talking about how he was at lunch with them.) It was a truly magnificent experience, seeing how a movie is shot and all.

At any rate, hopefully some director will see me in this film and my acting career will begin to flourish. I think it would be a great career. This brings me back to my original discussion about Star Wars. If it turns out in the future that another film is made, you can bet that I will book it out to Cally to audition for it. Until then, go see Elizabethtown in theaters July 29 as of right now, but there is a good chance that the release date will be pushed back to October 14 for some reason or another.

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews

3 Comments:

At 5/26/2005 05:17:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

how disappointed will you be if the fingerpoint and head nod end up on the floor of the editing room?

 
At 5/26/2005 11:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be pretty upset. It is a possibility.

 
At 5/27/2005 01:52:00 AM, Blogger Justin said...

i am excited and cannot wait to go to the premier in NY or LA or whatever premier your huge acting agency chooses to send you to...oh yeah none of that exists...but i do care much for the fact you made 65 bones...beats a day round ole blaino

 

Post a Comment

<< Home