Sunday, April 23, 2006

This and That....

What I Know: Bob Gillette and his family joined Porter today, and that makes me happy.
What I Think: Bob Gillette is a freaking stud. I can't wait to be walking down the church hallway and hear him say things like "Now look here beloved.....Real GDP is a better measure of output than nominal GDP.....Amen? Amen?"

What I Know: The softball team lost a heartbreaker this Thursday night.
What I Think: This team has heart. We mounted a nice comeback last game. We've got the tools to win. We will bounce back next week.

What I Know: We all get a little sad sometimes.
What I Think: If you are ever feeling a little down, I have just the remedy for you. Watch Jim Mora rant about how bad his team plated after a game a few years ago. I promise you will laugh and feel better. Or visit this site where it just loops over and over and over....

What I Know: I have to review my fellow students' papers in my English class.
What I Think: So I'm reading this one girls paper and I'm gonna be honest, it was just stupid. She was trying to be creative and what not, but Wes just wasn't buying it. I mean, she is capable of writing well, I have seen her do it before. But this paper was just like reading a lab report. How should I break the news to this girl?

What I Know: I heard my favorite Led Zeppelin, Since I've Been Lovin' You, on the way home tonight.
What I Think: I've never heard a song where a man can make a guitar speak with such emotion like Jimmy Page does in that song. I mean, it's like he sums up all the lyrics of the song into one amazing guitar solo. Amazing.

What I Know: School is not fun.
What I Think: It can be more fun if you make it that way. For a long time in college I was the dude who sat back and listened to people talk, then ridiculed them in my mind because all they did was talk about how drunk they got last night or who they were gonna hook it up with next. And you know what? School was boring and depressing. So I tried something different: I tried talking to people. And you know what? It makes a difference. Your college experience will be much more pleasant, I promise. People are more interested in what you have to say than you may think.

4 Comments:

At 4/24/2006 11:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I know: The Dilemma is going to dominate this week because it is a late game.

What I think: We need to dedicate this weeks matchup to the mastermind behind the team name (Troy Woodyard) while he is recovering from his surgery and doped up on pain pills. We should all wear headbands or something.

 
At 4/24/2006 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hooray for the return of the "What Wes Thinks/What Wes Knows" column--it's my favorite!

 
At 4/24/2006 05:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I know: Bob Gillette has an uncanny ability to make Economics come alive.

What I think: BG brings powerful insight to the table..."Barry Bonds...He's Paul Bunyan!!" "The Federal Reserve sometimes act like the village idiot!!" "Braveheart is a man's man!!"

 
At 4/24/2006 06:04:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

What I think: Wes should ask that chick whose paper he's reviewing out on a date. That's how you should break the news to her.

What I think: Bob Gillette should do the announcements at Porter.

What I know: Porter added 5 people to their roll because his family joined.

Another Gillette quote about baseball:
"Now, suppose an alien were to go with you to a baseball game, and Tony Gwynn comes up to bat. You say 'Tony Gwynn is batting .350!' The alien doesn't understand and wants to go get some popcorn. Then you explain to him '.350 is 2 standard deviations above the mean average!' Then the alien says 'Oh, hold on now! I've got to see this!!'"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home