Monday, August 29, 2005

A few minor notes

Some thoughts from the past few days:

- There are few things cooler in this world than a good hurricane. I love storms in general, but a hurricane is even better. I think back to the times when I was living on Joshua Circle, when Troy, Andy, and I would set up chairs on the front porch to watch a storm. How cool would it be to do that with a hurricane? Matt told me that there are boats that you can anchor into the ocean floor that will last a hurricane. I think that would be fun.
With Katrina now having passed through, it is amazing to loook back at the damage it left in its wake. I saw pictures of cars completely under water, trees uprooted, stores blown down. Don't get me wrong, I fell bad for those people, but it is incredible to look back and see how truly powerful the storm was.

- On the way to school this morning I saw a billboard for the Cincinnati Bengals. You know how most teams have a catchphrase for the season (some past UK ones have been "Air Raid" and "Bad Boys" or something like that)?. Well it appears the Bengals catchphrase for the upcoming season is going to be "Who dey?". Now, I really don't know what to make of this. Are they saying that the Bengals are a bunch of no-names, or that when we see how good they are fans will be like "Who dey? Usually the Bengals suck!".

-I finally got my one-strap backpack in the mail , and it is very comfortable. I would recommend it to anyone.

- My stats lab has 4 things that I can't stand in it: stats, a Yankees fan, a John Mayer fan, and a kid who thinks it is cute to try and show how smart he is by proving the teacher wrong. An example: today we were talking about scales of measurement, and how since it is impossible to have negative weight, weight is considered a ratio measurement (although you cannot physically reach 0 weight, it is still considered a ratio measurement because theoretically you can have no weight. Otherwise it would be an interval measurement). Anyway, this kid feels that is necessary to inform us that "actually, if you weigh a helium-filled balloon with an upside-down scale, you will see that is has a negative weight". Clearly not the point the teacher was trying to make.

- I was listening to the radio today on the way home. The station I was listening to does a request line from 5 to 6. Now one of the purposes of a request line is to play those songs that you don't hear much on the radio anymore. What is NOT the purpose of a request line is for people to call in and request Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day, the most overplayed song of 2004-2005. I bet the kid from my stats class called that request in.

- In a perfect world, I would never have to drive on Nicholasville Road down by campus.

5 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 07:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to say that hurricanes are the coolest natural phenomenons out there, right behind lightning of course.

 
At 8/29/2005 10:45:00 PM, Blogger dc said...

i've really never heard that song.unless i've heard and just dont know what its called. i really dont like green day or john mayer, or the yankees, dont know much about stats or the kid in your class, but i will dislike him for your sake.

 
At 8/29/2005 11:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blvd of Broken Dreams is one of the greatest songs ever scripted. Thus, its respective greatness may only be surpassed by such sonnets as "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and "Rock Me, Amadeus".

 
At 8/30/2005 11:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who Dey? is actually not this years slogan. It is the name of the Cincinnati BEngals mascot. If you ever watch a game or see t-shirts around campus you'll notice who-dey? It's been around for years. I had to look it up myself to make sure but no its not their slogan because you are right that would be a stupid slogan.

 
At 8/31/2005 06:51:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

it's also a stupid name for a mascot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home