Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I'm never walking through bushes again.....

Well it's been a while since my last real post, so I gues it's time I step up to the plate. And since I don't really have one specific topic to discuss, I think it's time for another edition of What I Know/What I Think. That's right kids. I got a lot of positive feedback on the last edition, so I have decided to continue it. Let's get it started, then......

What I Know: I have had poison ivy since walking through the bushes across the street at Jamie Griffin's going away party last Sunday.

What I Think: I have been miserable this week, trying to keep the stuff from spreading and all. I had forgotten how much of a hassle it is. Not to get all spiritual about it or anything, but I am sure there was no poison ivy in the Garden of Eden, and that, like thorns on a rose, it came about due to the fall of man. Stupid sin. I will never walk through a bush or shrubbery again.

What I Know: The Pistons are fighting for thier lives as I type these words.

What I Think: Regardless of tonight,s outcome, I believe we can all learn a valuable lesson from game 5: do NOT leave the inbounder open, ESPECIALLY if it is Robert "Big Shot Bob" Horry. As for my thoughts on whether the Pistons can take two from the Spurs at home, I would seriously doubt it. On the other hand, who would have thought that the Red Sox would win four straight against the Yankees, two of which were on the road, en route to the World Series?

What I Know: Danica Patrick is STILL on the SportsCenter and other sports shows on ESPN nearly a month after Indy, since which she has done nothing to prove that she is a great driver.

What I Think: Don't get me wrong. I think that Danica has got the right stuff to be a great F1 driver. However, if she weren't an attractive 23-year old woman, nobody would be talking about her anymore. All you have to do to see that attractive women steal the spotlight is to watch ESPN for an extended period of time. Some examples: Maria Sharapova is everyhwere, but the #1 player in the world, Lindsay Davenport (who many would say is less attractive) gets no attention. Anna Kournakova sucks at tennis, but you still hear about her. Jenny Finch of the USA softball team got all the attention at the Olympics last summer, while her more succesful teammate (whose name has slipped my mind at the momnet) went virtually unnoticed. And perhaps the best of all, I read that there is some girl on the UT womens basketball team who played all of 20 minutes the entire season, yet she was featured in all the NCAA Tournament commercials.

What I Know: Conan O'Brian takes over The Tonight Show from the retiring Jay Leno in 2009 (i believe this is the correct year).

What I Think: While I am ecstatic that Conan will be on at 11:30, I am disappointed that I will have to sacrafice Letterman in order to watch Conan. Apparently I am one of the few who find Letterman funny. Leno sucks, Conan is the future of late night comedy.

What I Know: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise? You betcha.

What I Think: If the Porter sofball team plays this Thursday night and no one is around to see it, do they still lose? You betcha.

What I Know: The highly anticipated War of the Worlds comes out next Wednesday.

What I Think: If Steven Spielberg stays true to the book, this will be an incredible movie. If not, I don't know what will happen. I think Tom Cruise is a good fit for the lead role. Whether the movie is good or not, go out and get this book. Other than this and Star Wars, I am not a Sci-fi fan, but I will tell you that this is a great read. It really shows the human race from a different perspective, comparing the invasion of the Martians on Earth and the ensuing daily human struggle just to survive to the daily struggle of many animal and insect species against human rule of Earth. It also shows how truly arrogant the human race is, to think that we actually have complete control over the Earth, something we did not create. One my favorite parts of the book compares the destruction of a village by a Martian fighting machine to the destruction of an ant hill by a young boy. Later, the writer goes on to say "This was never a war, it is an extinction of the human race". A fantastic book. And it's only less than 200 pages, so you could easily finish it before the movie comes out.

What I Know: I mentioned Tome Cruise earlier. Word is that he and the young lovely Katie Holmes are engaged after only 2 months of dating.

What I Think: I am not one of those people who keeps up with the Hollywood love scene. In fact, I could care less about it. But this is too bizarre to ignore for so many reasons:
1) They have only dated two months. In my opionion, it is virtually impossible to get to know someone that quickly.
2) She is 26, he is 42 or something, maybe older. I know that he is a favorite with ladies, but the guy is getting old, while she is in the prime of her life. She could have any guy she wants, and she chooses relatively old man. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
3) Have you ever seen them in public? It is disturbing. They are always all over each other and telling everyone theymeet how in love they are. Keep it to yourself, I say. America doesn't want to see it.
4) Finally, it has been reported that Katie has converted from Catholicism to Scientology. It is well known that Tom Cruise is a big Scientology guy. For her to convert so quickly is quite strange.

What I Know: Continuing the Tom Cruise theme, I forgot to mention that Cruise is the producer of Elizabethtown, the movie I am in.

What I Think: Rumor has it that the first trailer for Elizabethtown, can be seen before the War of the Worlds. It makes sense, since he is involved in it. Keep an eye out for it.

What I Know: Continuing the "actors named Tom" theme, Tom Hanks may very well be my favorite actor.

What I Think: The man just makes every movie he is in good. Just a few of his succesful projects (which just so happen to include some of my favorite movies): Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, A League of Their Own, The Road to Perdition, Big, Castaway, Toy Story, Apollo 13, The 'Burbs, and The Green Mile.

What I Know: Continuing the Hollywood theme (this is the last one, I promise), Dakota Fanning will be starring in War of the Worlds.

What I Think: This young 11-year old actress is unbelievable. She was nominated for a Screen Actor's Guild Award at age 8. If you have not seen her act, go rent Man on Fire or I Am Sam. She is a better actress than most in the movie biz these days, and that is not exaggeration. Expect big things from her in the future.

What I Know: David Stern and the NBA are proposing a 19-year old minimum age limit for eligibility in the NBA draft.

What I Think: While I am a big supporter of an age limit, 19 is simply not going to cut it. Many kids are 19 when they graduate high school. In my opinion, it needs to be 20 or even 21.

Well thats all for tonight. Time for me to go check on the Pistons/Spurs game if it is not already over. See what I am sacraficing to bring this fine literature to you all?

8 Comments:

At 6/22/2005 12:21:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

did the steroids not help?

 
At 6/22/2005 01:39:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

No, they helped. Maybe I didn't make myself clear, the poison ivy started getting a lot better around Sunday. No more itching, just dead skin now.

 
At 6/22/2005 04:15:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

since my girlfriend does not want to take me to see war of the worlds...can i go on the date with you to see it?

 
At 6/22/2005 04:44:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

As long as I don't have to pay for your ticket, sweetums.

 
At 6/23/2005 12:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wes, you just think dakota fanning is hot...that's so wrong, you oughta be ashamed!

 
At 6/25/2005 12:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the nba doesn't need a minimum age limit. what it needs is a minimum years out of high school (say 2 years) like the nfl has

 
At 6/25/2005 07:12:00 PM, Blogger dc said...

hey, i had poison ivy and used no steroids. this shuld really come before the supreme court because it gave you a competitive edge in overcoming the rash. I never used steroids and still beat poison ivy in a record 2 weeks, but I'm not on the cover of dermatologists illustrated. see the good looking, utterly hot and sexy people (like myself) dont always get all the attention.

 
At 6/29/2005 02:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, Danica Patrick might not be a great driver. She's only 23, so I don't expect her to be a better driver than myself.
But, SO WHAT? She's SMOKIN' hot! She finishes 4th at Indy (not bad) and ratings go up 40%. IRL makes millions. Down here in Texas she signed autographs one afternoon. A huge line of guys (all age 30 and over) lined up around the block all day to get her autograph. She's hot, let's face it. And she drives decently, at least. Lets just enjoy that and keep driving up Indy ratings so they keep showing her picture. Word.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home