Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Questions

This is what I think about in class on those days when my attention fails me.....

-What would the world be like without music? Can you imagine if music did not exist? And I'm not just talking about good music. What if it had never existed at all? What a boring place this would be. We would have no concept of melody or harmony. If something sounded remotely like music we would never know because we would not know what music was. Car rides would be excruciatingly boring. What a cold, dreary place this would would be. And perhaps worst of all, there would be no Waters's Edge! What would we do with ourselves?

-Isn't it weird how certain songs remind you of certain events or certain times in your life? What causes this to happen? There are some songs that when they begin to play I am always reminded of a certain time, place, or person. I know you know what I'm talking about, don't deny it. So it got me to thinking, wouldn't it be tight to make a soundtrack for your life, where each song represented a time period of your existance? What would you put on yours? Tapp would probably put "In Da Club" at some point, right Tapp?

-Speaking of Water's Edge,Chris and I had a thought on how to mix things up a bit: add Darren as second guitarist. Then you would not only have The Edge playing for you but Slash as well. He could really put the "edge" into Water's Edge. Of course you would have to change the bands name to fit the new look. Some of my suggestions: Razor's Edge, Mach 3 Power, The MaxPower 7, Murky Water's Edge, Gun's N' U2, Muddy Puddle.

-Why is Lee Todd getting a raise and my tuition fee going up?

-Is there a "significant other" pre-ordained for everyone, or can we love anybody? This is a question I have given much thought to on more than one occasion. I think that there is truth in both explanations. I think God has a perfect mate for everyone that he intends to be married. I really do. But the question always comes up: what if you screw things up and don't marry the person you were suppsoed to? I guess that could happen. That might explain a lot of Christian divorces. I think the most important thing to know is that if you seek God concerning the matter He will take care of you and let you know what's up.

On the flip side, I can see how you can choose to love someone. People grow on you the more you spend time with them. But then again, maybe that person was the one you were supposed to marry in the first place. It is a conundrum for sure.

-Speaking of divorce, I think that the reason we have such a high divorce rate is not because of infidelity, or sin, or lack of support, or any of these physical things. I think it's because we really don't know what love is or how to do it. Now I'm no Dr. Love (yet...) or marriage counselor or anything, but I think one of the key aspects to loving someone is that you put thier interests above yours. Love is an unselfish act. I once heard a speaker talking about marriage who said that "loving someone is to be willing to die for them." Guys that means taking not just a bullet for the lady, but the entire clip and then some. Man that's some crazy stuff, but it's true. After all,marriage is a picture of our relationship with Christ. He took all the pain and suffering so we wouldn't have to. Shouldn't men should do the same for their wives? I think so.

-On a lighter note, what's up with all these kids getting upset because the campus police won't let them ride their bikes on "No Bikes Allowed" pavement anymore? Thers is a reason those sidewalks exist: so I can walk without getting run over. These bike riders on campus are freakin nuts. They try to weave in and out of congested areas at 35 mph. I got hit by one my freshman year, and since then I've been out to get them. I know gas costs a lot, but seriously lets try to keep the bikes on the deignated paths. And don't get mad at the police for enforcing the laws. It's like when a drunk 19 year old gets mad because the police arrested him. The nerve of these cops......

-Seriously though, let's get the fashion police down here to bust some of these girls wearing the huge sunglasses. It's only a matter of time before I take the law into my own hands and start getting rid of the glasses myself.

-Everyday the computer finds a new way to cheat me at NCAA Footabll 06. Whether it be that he breaks 8 tackles at the same time, or catches a ball with 4 defenders around him, or he somehow manages to throw a perfect ball backwards 40 yards to a reciever while falling down, you are garuanteed to get screwed anytime you play that game. Yesterday's rediculous play of the day: QB hands off ball to RB, who runs back and to the side. I tackle RB, but has I hit him RB pithces ball straight up and backwards to WR behind him, who throws perfect pass downfield for 30 yard gain. Another example: I'm up by 5 points, 3 seconds left in the game. PC has ball at my 7 yard line. QB drops back, throws pass that is nowhere close to reciever and is headed out of endzone. Yet my safety feels the need to make an incredible play (controlled not by me, but the computer of course) where, instead of letting the ball go safely out of bounds, he jumps incredibly high and tips the ball right to the PC's reciever. I was so mad I almost punched the TV. You can't tell me this game doesn't cheat.

8 Comments:

At 10/04/2005 06:44:00 PM, Blogger Josh said...

"Why is Lee Todd getting a raise and my tuition going up?" I think you just answered your own question there, buddy.

 
At 10/04/2005 06:47:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

"In Da Club" could be on there... I'd have some good Techno on there and some Three Dog Night as well. Eclectic.

Uncle Bill has a good sermon about marrying the "wrong" person, and how God isn't going to punish you for the rest of your life. Eventually as you both make sacrifices you realize that love is a CHOICE, not a feeling, and that it's something you've got to choose every day. God has to iron out just as many wrinkles in the "perfect" marriage as He does in the marriage that shouldn't have happened (providing all people in this example are Christians).

True love is waiting weeks to watch a certain football game, in eager anticipation, and even telling your wife about it, and then her saying "Let's watch this movie tonight," and even though you don't want to, you do anyway because seeing her happy makes you happy.

Or, maybe true love is watching Anchorman with your wife and then quoting it together forever after.

 
At 10/04/2005 06:47:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/04/2005 07:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're not talking about stats class; there's no way you should be bored in there... Anyway, I can't stand those bikers either. I'm much more afraid of them than of automobiles, because automobiles generally stay off the city blocks, and don't drive as fast near pedestrians. I don't know if I like the way "the marriage that shouldn't have happened" sounds. It makes it seem like if you miss the "one-and-only right marriage" boat, you're screwed. What if I was supposed to marry Suzie Lumpkin from the 2nd grade, but I alienated her and shaded the rest of my life when I picked my nose during lunch one day? These are the things I think about.

 
At 10/04/2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Who deleted that comment? I never got to see it and I thought I was the only one who could delete comments. If someonw could let me know what it said I would be grateful.

 
At 10/04/2005 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Songs on Justins Soundtrack...
-I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister
-Red Light - Johnny Lang
-Forever and for Always - Shania Twain
-Life's a Dance - John Micheal Montgomery
-Lil' Homies - Tupac
-Dreams - The Game
-Theme from Mission Impossible
-Amazing Grace
-No Diggity - Blackstreet
-I've Got the World on a String - Frank Sinatra
-Guys and Dolls - Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin
-Heartland - George Strait
-Feeling Good - Micheal Buble
-Black Dog - Led Zepplin
-No Leaf Clover - Metallica

And I am sure I am forgetting others

 
At 10/04/2005 11:55:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Red Light is a great song....so is I've Got The World On A String. I love Sinatra.

 
At 10/05/2005 01:57:00 PM, Blogger JTapp said...

The deleted comment was just mine posted twice, so i deleted it.

I miss NCAA Football on XBOX. I crave it, think about it all the time. I'm glad I don't have one, or I'd be useless.

NBA Live '06 just came out though...and I love me some dynasty action on it (remember I destroyed my '05 to quit playing it). We can't quite work it into our financial budget though, and won't be able to for the next 2 years. That makes me cry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home