Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Keep That Mouth Shut

Well this morning I was in one of those moods where little things upset me more than they should. I know you know what I am talking about, everyone has those days. Today (at least this morning) was one of those times for me. As usual I roll down to school and park my car, my rims still spinnin' and what not. I throw on the good old iPod, and proceed to walk to class. I pick up a paper and read about the latest developments in the UK Student Governement fiasco. It seems Becky Ellingsworth is officially the new president (Do you hear that? That's the sound of 25,000 students not giving a rip about this whole issue). Anyway, that is not the point. I took my seat in the back, about 10 minutes before class started. I kept the iPod on and continued to read the paper. A few minutes later I look up and see the teacher talking, so I make an effort to put my stuff away, when he looks directly at me and says "Are we ready to start class? Is it OK if I go ahead and start?"

I was not emabarrassed, but a little mad. Could he not see that I was making a concerted effort to put my belongings away? Why does he have to be a jerk about it? Some thoughts raced through my head as to what my response should be. It just so happens that this particualr teacher is a 25 year-old doctoral student whose voice tends to squeak 10-15 times during class. My first thought was to respond "Yeah, I'm ready, as long as you'll be keeping the squeaks to a minimum today" or something of that nature. "

I don't get mad often. I would dare say that of the known readers of this blog, only a handful have seen me mad before (Dave and Troy I know for sure). It takes a lot for me to get mad, and fortunately for this professor, I just sat there, smiled, and gave him a thumbs up. Why? Because I am a nice guy, that's why. One of my biggest personal theories in life: Bad things happen when you open your mouth.

A classic example of this happened tonight at work: I was talking to a couple of guys who are pretty cool to talk to. One of them was discussing a new employee that was acting like a chump this morning, pretending that he knew everything about everything. The guy who I was talking to says "I mean if you work at a shoe store at age 30 that's pretty pathetic". It just so happens that the other member of the conversation is 32, and the guy who made the comment soon realized it. He then made a fool of himself trying to explain what he meant and cover up his mistake.

Folks this is why we should not run our mouths, which I tend to do quite a bit, especially late at night. Otherwise uncomfortable situations like this arise.

On a final note, I picked up the new Swithcfoot CD today. It is quite good (or as I like to say, it's "dope family")

Well that's all I've got tonight. Hope all is well for everyone reading this. Bon soir, mes amis!

2 Comments:

At 9/15/2005 09:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good theory. My words almost always come back to bite me in the butt.

 
At 9/15/2005 02:23:00 PM, Blogger d blake said...

My words also have a tendency to bite john askew in the butt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home