Friday, July 15, 2005

The Summer of 2003

As I promised, a post devoted entirely to all the goings-on of the summer of 2003, the best summer in my recent memory. Truly a Golden Age compared to the compared to the last two, summers as well ones before it. And what made it so great I think was that it started out great in late May, then went horribly wrong in mid-June early July, but then made a HUGE rebound in mid-July July and on throughAugust. Ahhhh, so many memories come rushing back.............

*First let me say that I when I said that the beginning of the summer sucked, I meant that it sucked for me. It may have been great for a lot of you, but I had a lot of stupid crap going on at that time that was fortunately cleared up later in the summer. For various resons, I will avoid discussing said crap. Now, onto the good stuff.

-One of the first things that comes to mind about the Summer of 2003 is that a lot of card games were played. From simple games such as no-limit UNO and Cowboys and Indians (thanks to Chris for that one), to more complex games such as Shanghai Rummi, Screw Your Neighbor, and , of course, Spades. Thanks to all who participated and hosted such outings (mostly it was Matt's and Lindsey's houses that we played at).

-I must also mention here that I believe the GREATEST SPADES COMEBACK EVER took place during this time, where Jason and I came from 500 points down, only to fall at the end.

-Thusrsday Night Bible Studies. Or, as I liked to call them, Thursday Night Religion Bashings

-Robert Patterson. Truly a men among boys. The first time I saw him, I thought he was at least 25, when actually he had just turned 19. I can only think of one word to describe Bobby: P.I.M.P. The man was a stud. Who can forget his fruit drink machine that he kept in the kitchen?

-Troy dropping his cell phone in the toilet.

-Playing tennis for all the wrong reasons.

-Lindsey's world-renown cheesecake.


-Hollice's banana pudding

-As I mentioned before, Hawiian Shaved Ices almost everyday.

-I finally quit working at Winn-Dixie and got a job at AllSports. Back in those days, working at AllSports was a great job. My how times have changed.

-Canoeing on Elkhorn Creek. My favortite part of the day came when Micah made a joke about my mom, to which I repleid "My mom is dead" with a terribly sad look on my face. Micah didn't know me to well at this point, so he thought I was telling the truth. He kept apologizing for like 15 minutes. The best part was that everyone else in the group was like "Yeah, amn didn't you know that? She got hit by a car a couple months ago". Also, it was cool to watch Mark Smith risk his life by jumping of that tree on top of that cliff into the creek that couldn't have been too deep.

-Cedar Point with the Wherles and the Soks

-Riding Milfo (Millenium Force) with John Wherle

-"Stacy's Mom" hit radio waves everywhere. Other popular songs of the summer that come to mind: "I Hate Everything About You" by Three Days Grace, "Only Hope" by Switchfoot, "Sweetness" by Jimmy Eat World, "Commication Breakdown" by Led Zeppelin and "Holiday Inn" by Chingy.

-The summer I met Chris Smith, then later Dustin. Dustin was so quiet then.

-Going to the Outer Banks with Mike Davis.

-Getting beat at a roll eating contest by Sarah Kinney at O'Charley's.

-Remember Chris from O'Charley's?

-Moving into the house on Joshua Circle with Troy and Andy.

-Troy yelling "Freedom" Braveheart-style at 2 in the morning.

-Troy playing "Pomp and Circumstance" on the electric guitar really loud at 2 in the morning.

-Trying to get those stupid Tiki torches to light in the backyard.

-Hiking in the gorge, and nearly having to carry Troy and Lindsey out of the woods becasue they were so tired.

-Troy calling Allison on her cell phone at 4:20 am and saying "Hey, guess what. It's 4:20 (chuckle, chuckle). I jus thought I would let you know".


-Shakespeare in the Park. The people behind us smoked so much weed it gave me a little buzz (and a headache).

-Hangin' out at Travis's.

-When we first met Preece, and everyone kept calling him Priest.

-Super Monkeyball

-Ultimate Frisbee

-Scrabble with Andy and Chris (remember Femijock?)

-Eric Orr-isms


-Grab Bag

-A little bit before summer, but Freedom Weekend at Matt's house


This list is what I could think of off the top of my head. Any additions by others are welcomed, for I cannot remember everything. I will contiue to add to it as I think of other things and as other people suggest them to me.

19 Comments:

At 7/16/2005 11:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shakespeare in the Park

 
At 7/16/2005 11:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wes it wasn't just calling her for fun, we called her because it was 4:20!!!! (because that was cool or something) Gotta smoke that weed man! just kidding for all those who don't know me--- I dont smoke weed.

 
At 7/17/2005 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Wes said...

Matt, I knew I was forgetting something you said....thanks.

John, I remember now. That was funny.

 
At 7/17/2005 04:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you there when i yelled something i won't mention here at the top of my lungs at the early hours of the morning that i am sure woke up your neighbors??? if not, i know troy and jason were there.

 
At 7/17/2005 04:37:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

I was there, I just chose not to mention it due to the nature of the yell, although it was hilarious.

 
At 7/17/2005 09:43:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

i would say that the freedom weekend was the last images of the chase of old i will remember!

 
At 7/17/2005 10:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, Chris Smith is a loser, you should really remove him from your list of good things about summer 03... Maybe thats just my opinion though...

 
At 7/17/2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Sok, I was thinking the same thing....if I recall correctly he jumped in the shower with somebody naked.....

 
At 7/19/2005 01:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget people played alot of Tennis, ultimate frisbee and counterstrike.

 
At 7/19/2005 01:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

troy with the newspaper job

 
At 7/19/2005 05:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for calling me yesterday, it was really sweet of you and I appreciated it! I love your blog, it really shows how fun you are. Maybe we can hook up on campus sometime? Email me:
Meredith.Lane@wkyt.com

 
At 7/19/2005 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/19/2005 11:42:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/20/2005 05:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/29/2005 11:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember you being present at the creation of femijock (and not to forget femijockitch). While you may have witnessed the scrabble, I'm not sure if you can take credit for it. It's a chris and andy 2003 thing. You wouldn't understand.

 
At 7/30/2005 12:13:00 AM, Blogger Wes said...

Andy when did I ever say that I came up with that? I was sitting right next to you when you and chris made it up, but I had nothing to do with it's creation, I was just enjoying the moment. So don't be a retard, don't be jealous, be gratelful I mentioned your invention in my blog. Obviously a little communication breakdown :)

 
At 7/30/2005 01:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Wes. But just so you know I said a little prayer.

 
At 8/05/2005 01:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wes, that was a very good summary of summer 2003, which I agree, was an awesome summer. I think you forgot a very important movie we saw that summer... the Lizzie movie. And then you even got a poster of her for your birthday! Thanks for saying my cheesecake was "world-renown"... that's a big complement.

-Lindsey

 
At 8/05/2005 05:41:00 PM, Blogger Wes said...

Lindsey I cannot beliee I forgot about the Lizzie movie! I am such a punk, it was a great movie, with Lizzie and Gordo sharing their true feelings and all.....it almost made me cry. And I still have the poster too... it was the best birthday present ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home